The Scrap Metal Industry provides over 30,000 jobs in America each year . The estimated value of scrap metal produced is over $30 billion. The Scrap Metal Industry is an important factor in conserving natural resources and providing environmental protection while offering valuable raw materials to manufacturers.
American Scrap Metal Recyclers produced more than 130 million tons of recyclable material for domestic and overseas markets in 2004 alone!
Of these recyclables, the tonnages consisted of approximately:
- 70 million tons of scrap iron and steel
- 60 million tons of scrap paper and paperboard
- 4.1 million tons of scrap aluminum
- 1.5 million tons of scrap copper
- 1.1million tons of scrap stainless steel
- 1.4 million tons of scrap lead
- 248,000 tons of scrap zinc
- 3.5 million tons of scrap glass or cullet (beverage containers only)
- 300,000 tons of scrap plastic (beverage containers only)
- 56 million scrap tires